Thursday, July 19, 2007

Do I Write Scripts?

This is the most common question I get when people engage me in conversation about my job.

Obviously, no one expects to make a career out of just reading scripts, right? Pretty much correct. It's seen as a way to make a living while you're writing your own things or as a starting point to a career as an executive.

So, I write. About a dozen film scripts, two TV spec sitcom pilots and a handful of TV spec sitcom episodes. It may be a little easier for me to get someone to read my scripts, but I also want to make sure I don't abuse the access to them. I have to be fully confident they might like what they read or they'll be less likely to say "sure, give me a copy of your script" next time I ask. However, even for me, it's all about getting the right script to the right person at the right time.

Here's a tale of frustration:

One of my TV specs had to do with a young man marrying into a family from a different cultural background who ran a restaurant. The clashes of culture played an important part in the comedy, as did gender and family issues, along with the work issues. The pilot had to do with the couple returning from their honeymoon and becoming involved with the bride's family.

I could never get much interest in this.

Then, along came "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding." The success of this begat "My Big, Fat, Greek Life" on TV, the pilot of which had to do with the couple returning from their honeymoon and becoming involved with the bride's family.

Now, get this...both my script and "MBFGL" opened with a scene of one member of the newly married couple being involved in physical comedy regarding their luggage (theirs at the airport, mine in the hall of their apartment building).

(Sigh.)

"MBFGL" may not have been a complete success, and its being put on the air was obviously linked to the success of the movie, but, boy, did I feel like I was close to something with my own script.

More adventures of my screenwriting efforts late.

No comments: