Friday, July 27, 2007

Working With a Writer

Just had the experience of working with a couple of Writers on their scripts. This is the most involving and satisfying part of what I do and I wish I could do more of it. (Whatever happened to the old-time "Story Editor" position, where a person could just work on developing scripts rather than trying to bring the material to the company?)

I always approach working with a Writer from the angle that it's their vision, I'm just here to help them refine it. If I point out that certain speeches seem a little preachy and find they've been left in on the next draft, I have to go with the notion that the Writer wants to make the point in that manner. Obsessing over something like that in draft after draft only wastes time. It's their script and should reflect their point-of-view. If I take the stance of "do what I tell you, regardless of what you feel is best," I'm taking away their creativity. The script should be their voice in telling the story, so I focus on trying to make sure the story's basic foundations are in place. That the plot and characters are set up well, that it offers complications and solutions that serve the story and that things are wrapped up in a manner befitting the story. Whether or not it's a "happy ending" is up to the Writer. After all, it's up to them to sell the story. The most I can do is try to point out ways to tell their story in the best possible manner.

No comments: