Friday, July 13, 2007

Ms. Spelling

No, not an entry on the film and TV career of Tori.

Instead, that supposedly dreaded terror of all writers...that Script Readers turn up their noses at any script containing a misspelling.

First of all, we are hardly immune from misspellings in our coverages. (Come on. 'Fess up, any of my fellow Analysts reading this. You've read an old coverage of your own and found some embarrassing errors.) I myself usually find missing words (that my mind somehow assumed existed when I proof-read my work the first time) or stray words that I missed on proof-reading.

As for the the usual suspects, its and it's and their and they're and there, they really just provide a moment to sigh and move on.

However, writers should also be aware that 90% or more of the scripts I read don't have such errors. When more than one is found, there can be an inkling that, if you didn't pay that much attention to your proof-reading, it's probable that you also missed things like your poor story development and weak characterization.

That being said, the errors that stand out to me are the ones of complete disregard for spell check or facts. A misspelling like "desert" for "dessert" can be missed because spell check won't catch it and it is easy to whiz by as you read. But "dinning room"? Unless you're being creative and have a location where people go to make a lot of noise, you really should catch this. Add to that "nods his head 'no'." A "nod" is an up-and-down motion signifying an affirmative response. "Shake" your head "no." Please.

Though in the end, the truly egregious error is the one of including a specific title or name in your script and misspelling it. This happens a lot with music. Most scripts won't specify the music being played over a scene, so when one does, I have to figure that the Writer feels this is really important and wouldn't be picking this song or artist unless he/she had an important reason to include it in the script. Thus, when I read "Jimmy Hendricks' 'Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky'" noted, all I can do is cringe and think, "this person really doesn't know what they're talking about."

Remember my assertion that 90% of all scripts don't have errors? Well, 90% of all scripts that have errors like the Hendrix one are usually pretty sloppy creatively.

Repeat after me: Jimi Hendrix, "Purple Haze."

1 comment:

Camilla Did Not Mean To Be Mean said...

Not about Tori Spelling, also because "miss spelling" has too much ss...I am not from an english-speaking country, so I probably misspelled the plural form of "s", but please, keep reading my comment! Once I wrote to a teacher of mine "I hope not to have written too mispelled words". My next, stupid e-mail was: Sorry! I misspelled the word "misspelled". However, I just cannot believe someone wrote Jimi Hendrix in that crazy way...I am trying to imagine what kind of guy he should be. A jerk, no doubt. A bit like a friend of mine who asked me if Jimi Hendrix was one of the Beatles. My God.
Let me tell something about me (this is my first comment): my name is the first word of my nickname, and...well, what you need to know about me is the remaining part. I come from Italy and I have always considered myself a reader, without knowing that somewhere in California it means something more...
I hope not to have missssssssspelled too many words.