Thursday, July 12, 2007

Meeting Writers

Most Writers I meet are delightful, as we have a common bond in what we do and can discuss the art of screenwriting and relate our feelings of examples of both good and bad scripts or movies.

There are some, however, who feel that I am slightly below the Anti-Christ on the list that ranks individuals on the merits of their existence. Usually, I'm amused by this reaction, but over the years there have been two who stood out for their comments to me.

The first was a successful TV Writer, the comedy variety. We met at a Christmas party and when he was informed of how I make my living, his response was, "What qualifies you to do that?" Now, I have to admit my reaction was little more than shock and don't remember my response. On reflection, it seems to me that "what qualifies me" is the same thing that "qualifies" a Writer to do what he or she does. You set out to do it and if people like your work, you can make a living at it. One might argue that writers are creative individuals who study and work at their craft, but there are thousands of people who believe themselves to be creative individuals and take the same classes or read the same books and work just as hard at writing who never create anything anyone wants to buy. Not everyone who thinks they can do something can do it. I studied Ted Williams' "The Science of Hitting" and played baseball for five years, yet I was never any good at it. No one wants to hire a bad Writer and no bad Reader is around for very long. You work at it and, if you're any good, you get to continue doing it. Just like a Writer.

Then there was the successful film Writer who asked me if I had ever written a script. I have, around a dozen of them. When he asked if I thought there was any reason why I hadn't sold any of them, I replied that the common comment on my work is that it lacks "edge." Now, this is a common Hollywood term, one with which anyone in the business should be familiar. However, this Writer claimed that he had no idea what "edge" or "edgy" meant and had just been in a meeting with a Studio Executive who agreed with him. I must say, I find this very hard to believe. There might be some debate over what "edgy" means exactly, but the ideas that situations in the script should have elements that aren't completely mainstream and that the characters should have odd or even unlikable qualities are probably on most anyone's list. I still puzzle over the purpose of his statement, as it just made him look kinda...dumb. And most writers are far from dumb. Intense, focused, repositories of obscure knowledge on the subjects that interest them the most and very opinionated. But rarely dumb.

No comments: