Monday, July 16, 2007

Watching TV

Discussions of TV shows come up all the time at gatherings of "industryites" and, invariably, there are those who insist they don't watch TV. That is usually followed by them mentioning a few minutes later some TV show they watch. The most amusing of these folks are the ones who "hate reality TV," only to confess that they do like one or more reality TV shows. Some people insist they don't even own a TV.

Instead of watching TV, they read, listen to music, exercise, go to plays, etc. I do most of those things, too. (Well, I don't go to many plays.) However, when it comes to reading...would you suggest that a farmer plant a garden in his non-working hours? I do read for pleasure, but I think you understand why I don't usually curl up with a good book after having just spent eight hours reading a book for work.

Thus, I watch TV. The most common complaint about Mr. Farnsworth's* invention is that the shows are awful. Remember my mention of "industryites"? I find it amusing that they're basically saying that the product of their own industry is awful. I wonder if car company employees think the same thing. That being said, some of the shows are pretty lame, but which shows are lame is always a matter of opinion. I never was amused by "Scrubs" in anything other than a "well, that was weird" way, yet "Two And A Half Men" usually has me laughing out loud. Critical opinion doesn't agree with me; ratings do. Go figure.

Trust me, I'm not advocating that everyone spend every free hour watching TV. But to say there is "nothing good on" is a broad, untrue generalization. No matter your interests, you can find something worthwhile to watch. There are definitely educational programs (Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, The History Channel and more). If you want to laugh, sitcoms aren't the only choice. Rather than belabor the point, this moment in TV history has a range of choices. If your choice is just not to watch, you won't find me trying to convince you to watch. But if your argument against TV is that there is nothing good or worthwhile on it, you're just wrong. If your argument is that you don't want to pay for all those channels, why pay for a gym when you can exercise on your own outside? Why buy books when there is a library nearby? Sometimes, if you want the best, most convenient or most diversity, you have to pay for it.

Since I at times read for TV companies, I try to familiarize myself with most anything that's been on the air for more than a few weeks (figuring they've past the "quick cancellation" point and will last at least a season). With cable channels coming up with more and more new series, it can be a daunting task. Once I've seen a show, they will fall into one of several general categories. First are shows I watch when they're on or by recording them on my DVR because I don't want to miss them. ("The Sopranos," "Big Love," "Entourage"...is this looking like a promo for HBO?...come to mind, along with "Ugly Betty.") Shows I will look forward to and watch unless distracted by other things, but won't DVR. ("Project Runway," "Two And A Half Men," "CSI: Miami," many others, typically sitcoms and a few dramas. I do watch some other reality shows, but find the repetition of conflicts after a season or two become boring. Of the dating shows, only "Joe Millionaire" held me for a season, basically to see if they could pull off the stunt.) There are shows I watch a number of times wishing I liked them more than I do and keep hoping they engage me, but haven't yet ("Dirt," "The Closer"). Then, the ones that, if the subject is good enough, I'll check them out if I'm sitting down with an hour to spare. (Typically, "true life" stories like "Biography," "City Confidential" and the like or informational shows like "Unwrapped." )

That being said, there are innumerable shows that I bypass without a second thought. (I won't begin to list them, but suffice to say I'm not a fan of shows where the goal is to embarrass people.)

Pretty much, I ask TV to entertain me for an hour or so and to see the end result of things I've read about. Also, to keep up on the "hottest" actors, writers and directors, for their names are sure to pass over my desk at some time.

1 comment:

EYouthWNY said...

Did you intend a foot note on Mr. Farnsworth (hence the "*") and then forget it?